Inside Cover – research ( 903 am oct 21 November 9, 2011
The majority of CD and album cases sets will include a booklet on the inside left pocket of the digi pack which mainly has the band/artist logo,symbol or portrait such as me examples below of Chris Brown illustrating himself. Nearly all of these bookelts i researched (21 cases, different genres and ages and groups/singles)
When I read ‘VIBE’ magazine i discovered that the reason why so many record labels dispatch these cases with inside booklets are as follows:
- Give a insight into the purpose behind the song and indepth information into the artist(s) themselves.
- Information on upcoming gigs and other works of the artists or record label themselves
- Help the consumers sing along to their favourite tracks
- Add value e.g Posters and stickers
- Photography, male pleasure or young girl idolisation
I have choosen to shows Adele’s booklet which has her picture and lyrics of the song printed inside for the fans to read and sing along with. These booklets like EMINEM’s some times give a short autobiography fell look into the artists’ life and where the inspiration of the song came from again to further extend the enjoyment for the consumer. Reinforcing the fictional but emotional bond to the artist.
Inside Template research November 8, 2011
Inorder to produce a orthentic and decent standard of work i must first research past works and use this knowledge in my own work to improve my own ideas. I will study bands and solo artists singles and albums to differentiate between them.
1) ADELE – This single’s digi pack of ‘SOMEONE LIKE YOU’ as shown on the right just a leafelt consisting of the lyrics being printed of the song in a white font upon a grey background for contrast and also due to the fact it matches the cover colour scheme. I really like this simplistic approach to a single’s digi pack. Despite me making a back cover listing a barrage of songs I have only produced a single video so I may choose this idea just for my song.
2) Papa Roach – This band’s single of ‘WANNA BE LOVED’ is a double insert that stretched across either side of the digi pack showing a head shotline up of the band and lyrics of the song on the top right in black aganist white for contrast. This is effective plus there’s 3 people in my video this is a really good idea and possibility.
3) Ed Sheeran – Ed Sheeran album ‘NO.5 Collaborration project’ being his debute album I thought this would be a good example considering this is my first aswell. Upon reading his 15 page insert which featured double sided pages with pictures of himself performing and headshots for fans. Tour dates featured on the back pages for fans and at the bottom of the pages illustarted the www.edsheeran.com website again which shows tour dates, sellables and sneak previews of upcoming songs and collaborations. I will not be using this technique as i only have one page in order to please my audience so i cannot fit tour dates and headshots and lyrics all on one page.
4) Take That – ‘TAKE THAT CIRCUS’. Now the complete ooposite from a first timer to a accomplished band and have produced over 5 albums over the decades. Now i can see the differences between a new comer with fresh ideas and a veretan albumed band. Again loads of vibrant colours just like the cover and back also consists of loads of pictures from the cirucs tour and quotes from the band about the shows. Such as Robbie saying ” Gary’s been told to take make up off and he’s not even in costume’ aimed at the consumer and giving them a fictional emotional bond with the band members. I will not be using this idea because will are limited to a single page insert or you have to pay additonal fund, so i will not be using this as its a free service.
I have decided to use a idea similiar to ADELE and just used a simple image of thewhite PARCOUR logo of a jumping silouette against a black background with the lyrics in a red font to stand out, i feel this is the best way to ultilise my one page limit. This research has helped me as I now know that albums will have a 10-20 page booklet which has head shots and live tour images with tour dates and website inmformation. Due to mine being a single, a lyrics page is suitable for my cheap construction.
If I were to do it again and I could do whatever i wanted to: I would do a bookelt insert of head shots of: me,Luis and Craig peforming moves away from the car park. making it more asthetically pleasing.
Now that i have my RAW images i will now play about with them in FIREWORKS and PHOTOSHOP adding affects and adding lighting to get a desired affect. However my front cover is simplistically brilliant so i will not be changing this image so this leaves my back cover will i will have to edit in order to involve record label details and barcodes etc.
I have put the image into photoshop and googled a image of a barcode and changed the numbers on the bottom using the cropping tool avaliable making sure no one else’s work has the same barcode. I have used to text box tool in order to add the numbers and track titles on the top right hand corner and using the writting colour tool to change it to red in order to make them easily readable. Upon research I discovered NERO are associated with RUB RECORDINGS so i put a tiny images of their logo beside the barcode like past works and the copyrighting infringements law aswell that is another common conntation of a back cover of any media type. This again was done by using the dialogue boxing tool.
However because there was no slack between the borders of my image and the writing my teacher repeatedly told me that when put into the approved template and put into the company that was printing my digi pack the the one-inch border around my image would be cropped. So I put the image into PAINT and added a black border using the dotted square tool inorder to assure my writing’s safety.
Here are my two favourite images, after reviewing all of my ideas i have didnt to use my own taken images as i feel using someone elses images and when i have changed 90% of time i feel that this want show my own creativity and also will never be my own work. Below are my choosen images however they are unedited, these raw images will the basis for my digi pack design.
I have decided to use this as my front cover because my peers in my media class really enjoyed and appreciated the difficulty of drawing this image. Luis my main runner drew this image perviously in the year and upon see this on his website www.totalfreerun.co.uk I felt it would look brilliant on my front cover. My teacher also fell in love with this idea when i showed him my design board as shown below. Handrawn cover were popular in the 90’s where pastols were often used however i feel this pencil sketching is perfect in contrast to my back cover image.
This is the original picture of the front cover that Luis sketch from. Despite him changing the scenery i felt this was a brilliant idea as it shows constrast and juxtaposition just as in my video, the runner and chaser. Also it gives a bit of colour to my piece if my whole digi pack was just black and dull it would not be very appealing on a shelve.My next post will be my own roughing process so i can get a orthentic feel of the whole digi pack production cycle. I have been through the consutation process and now the designing process.
Below is a collage of my ideas which I produce in a double lesson. Some were just fillers to bulk up my portfolio however i took time over all of my designs some were pictures i found on www.google.co.uk and merged into a new image by overlayign several images together on photoshop and PAINT and some are also real life pictures which i have added effects to in order to make them more asthetically pleasing and more desireable for a digi pack cover.